Tuesday, April 10, 2007

JOHNNY CASH'S HENDERSONVILLE HOME BURNS DOWN

HENDERSONVILLE, TENNESSEE--This is a damned shame, and had me really alarmed at first. "What if there was memorabilia or obscure-tapes of Johnny in there?" I thought. No-dice, it's OK: Barry Gibb bought the place last-year and was restoring it. It seems the preservative they sprayed on everything was flammable. A small-piece of me thought--wished, really--that it was Johnny Cash. Yeah, it sounds weird, impossible, but Johnny had a knack for causing these things. It's almost as if he really did do it. Hey, he burned down a national park forest once, so why not?

I can imagine his spectral-figure floating elegiacally (with a fistful of uppers and downers) galling at a BEE GEE living in HIS HOUSE. Let's face it: when someone's singing sounds like a chipmunk being sodomized, they kind of have-it-coming. It's sad to see this house go, it really is. I saw Johnny 30-years-ago this summer--it was in the football stadium at Notre Dame. Unfortunately, it was with Billy Graham, the guy who pulled-strings with Nixon (hey, he gave a narc badge to Elvis...) to keep John out of prison when he'd been popped at the Mexican-border with a guitar case filled with tens-of-thousands of uppers and downers. There you go.

2 comments:

  1. It looked like a pretty rad place. I want to live on a lake. Nothing ever goes right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How you been Eric? God, that house was beautiful! Like my piece said, at least there wasn't any of Johnny's stuff in there! I miss that man so goddamned much, and now Kurt Vonnegut is gone.

    ReplyDelete