Monday, July 07, 2008

"No more fucking ABBA!"


ABBA--Drag queens, Toni Colette, and Throbbing Gristle are sad. Babs is glad, and I couldn't care any less (OK, I lied). When Terence Stamp made his historic proclamation in the sleeper, "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert," a lot of us had to agree: no more fucking ABBA, indeed. Camp doesn't mean it doesn't stink.

Postscript, 07.14.2008: The Guardian's Ben Child has kinda-sorta quoted from my piece, making a similar observation! I'm sure that the Terence Stamp quote came to him as well--it just had to be said. I can recall being blasted daily by the neighborhood rednecks, over-and-over again, with that pestilence called "ABBA," that Swedish supergroup created by a millionaire...a little like KISS, that.

Postscript, 07.15.2008: Toni Colette was more likable plump. Still, Colette wasn't as fat as my ex when she was in "Muriel's Wedding." No more fu...you know the drill.

NO MORE FUCKING ABBA:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/07/you_review_mamma_mia.html

No comments:

Post a Comment