Monday, September 29, 2014

What libertarianism really is, at base

It doesn't get any closer to the truth than this: 
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted,
socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The
other, of course, involves orcs.  
 This was a quote from writer John Rogers, I couldn't have put it any better myself, and yes, I know idiots obsessed with both novels, right Greg?

2 comments:

  1. I love that joke.

    The only thing I've ever read by her is a, um, "non-fiction" thing called "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal." It was ridiculous and frustrating, but it did make me clarify my own beliefs in order to counter it.

    Rand was obviously just overcompensating for the communist regime under which she lived for a while, and that wouldn't be so awful if there weren't so many people in decision-making positions who took her crap seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hilarious and spot on.

    I could never finish anything that crazy asshole wrote, and I think it would've been alright in her case had the Cheka thrown her in a hole somewhere. But, the rich here would've had to find someone else as nuts and illiterate as her, or created them. Clearly, some of the rich have no literary sense.

    I have to wonder if they take any of it seriously or if they're simply cynical & that it's just congruent with their own beliefs. Either way, everyone knows that it's wrong and on the way out once and for all, probably in a hail of bullets and global catastrophe, but I'll take that too.

    ReplyDelete